Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Detective Conan Fanatic

First of all, i really REALLY love this anime! Especially it's main character Edogawa Conan and Kudou Shinichi! I love them both so much!

I've been watching this for about 3 years and i don't care even if i watch this again and again! This anime really completes my day.

I’m trying my best to start this review without fangirling. However, as I type the sentences, I can’t help but squee over which I should tackle first and how I should tackle this mammoth of yet another cultural icon in the world of not only manga, but of Japan, Detective Conan. In the end, I have resolved to solving this in the same manner that Aoyama Gosho starts a case with Conan: surprise.

I have been aware of Detective Conan for some while. Like most of you, I approached Detective Conan with much skepticism. For one, it was LONG and a shounen story at that (so you know that it won’t be one of those ‘in-depth’ mangas). Back then, I knew I had to struggle reading through 30 volumes and infinity to read this manga. It would require my dedication follow this manga if it reaches zeta. Nonetheless, I gave it a shot a few years back and borrowed a friend’s tankoubon to get started. And in an instant, I found myself suddenly involved in a baffling mystery that I’m just itching to solve.


Searching for evidence
Yes, I did say that I met Conan with great skepticism. For one, back then with my stupid clampified eyes, I used to think that the drawing for Conan was too simple. Too stale. Unmanga-ish. Too kiddy. It is definitely a hurdle for many who are used with popular manga styles to get over the fact that Conan is closer to a cartoon than he is to the more popular manga. His art is far too simple and too childish to even get involved in it. But you will understand later that the art will work hand in hand with the story that Conan is trying to present. Despite the art, the story can be mature and challenging, without compromising the audience that this story was intended for: young boys. It does run in a shounen manga after all.

One has got to read Conan before you can even judge whether if this is merely just a manga that people are reading out of a forced habit or really a serious manga that knows its stuff. The first few pages will already put down your biases aside and show you that Conan is much larger than that small boy with a coat and a red bowtie. The moment you start reading you are immediately hooked into Conan’s mystery. You have, to begin with, Shinichi Kudou, a famous high school detective who accidentally crossed a bunch of criminals wearing black. Caught by the suspects, they poisoned him with a drug that shrunk his size to a little boy. Nowhere to run for help, he asks his neighbor to create a cover for him, at the same time seeking refuge in the arms of his ‘girlfriend’ of sorts, Ran. Under the guise of Conan Edogawa, Shinichi searches for these ‘men in black’ at the same time protecting, as much as he can, the people dear to him.

13 comments: